Jannik Michalzik

"To teach is to learn"

Standard 6

“Educators demonstrate a broad knowledge base and an understanding of areas
they teach.”

“Educators understand the curriculum and methodologies of areas they teach. Educators teach
curricula from Canadian, First Nations, Inuit, Métis, and global perspectives. Educators build upon
student capacity for intercultural understanding, empathy and mutual respect. Educators cultivate
the values, beliefs and knowledge of Canada’s democratic and inclusive society.”

As I contemplate my role as an educator, I will be reminded of the profound importance of showcasing a well-rounded knowledge base and a profound grasp of the subjects I will impart to my students. This won’t just be a professional duty; it will be a personal mission that I will wholeheartedly embrace.

Maintaining a broad knowledge base won’t merely be about possessing facts and figures. It will be about immersing myself in the subject matter, exploring its depths, and uncovering its nuances. It will mean understanding not only what’s in the textbooks but also the historical context, the evolving landscape, and the real-world applications. This rich understanding will enable me to go beyond the curriculum, fostering a sense of wonder and curiosity in my students, encouraging them to dig deeper.

Understanding the areas I teach won’t be confined to memorizing information. It will be about grasping the underlying principles, making connections between seemingly disparate concepts, and translating complex ideas into relatable stories. My goal will be to guide my students in making sense of the subject, helping them see its relevance in their lives and encouraging critical thinking.

When I step into the classroom in the future, I will carry with me not just books and lesson plans, but a genuine passion for the subject matter. I will believe this enthusiasm is infectious, and it will have the power to ignite a spark in my students. I will strive to be a role model, demonstrating that learning is not confined to the classroom but extends to a lifelong journey fueled by curiosity.