Jannik Michalzik

"To teach is to learn"

About Me

Hello, my name is Jannik Michalzik and I am a Teacher Candidate at UNBC. Let me tell you a bit about myself.

As a child I went to school (shocker, right?). Not in Canada, but in Germany. Growing up in the most beautiful city in the world (Hamburg) I began my studies in English, Math, German, Music, and Soccer. Little did I know at that time that I would stop calling this city my home when I would turn 15, because that was the age at which my family decided to pick up our tents (metaphorically speaking, Germans don’t exclusively live in tents) and pitch them in Northern British Columbia.

I continued my educational journey at LDSS in Burns Lake, where I enjoyed playing soccer and basketball for the school team and acting in various drama productions, all while advancing my academic goals. In 2016 I graduated from High School and moved to the city of Prince George where I studied at UNBC. At first I explored the subjects of English and History, before I found that my true passion lay in Physics and Mathematics. (Don’t judge! They are super interesting subjects).

2021 rolled around and with that part of my life concluding on my couch dressed in a bathrobe (Source: archived pandemic memories) I sat down wondering: What next? It took a year of contemplation before I decided to follow in my parents’ footsteps (sort of) and become an educator. I knew I wanted to teach High School (having been a High School student myself once), because I wanted to make a positive difference. And there are few professions that are as rewarding as teaching.

Besides studying I have also been working as a server/bartender in the industry for several years now, to which I attribute my skills in communicating and working under pressure. I enjoy exploring the world’s greatest backyard (BC) and still play soccer and guitar whenever I can. My micro-obsession with board games and Dungeons and Dragons is something that I share with my friends who have been around for all the good times and the bad.

Last, but definitely not least I am a proud step-father of two girls (5 and 7 at the time of this writing), who were brought into my life by the love of my life Christina.

I hope you enjoy flipping through this very niche corner of the internet as you find out more about what being a teacher means to me.