Jannik Michalzik

"To teach is to learn"

Standard 1

Educators value the success of all students. Educators care for students and act
in their best interests.

“Educators have a privileged position of power and trust. Educators are responsible for the physical
and emotional safety of students. Educators respect and value the diversity in their classrooms,
schools and communities, inclusive of First Nations, Inuit and Métis, and other worldviews and
perspectives. Educators foster students’ positive personal identity, mental and physical well-being,
social and personal responsibility, and intellectual development. Educators engage students in
meaningful participation in their own learning. Educators treat students equitably with acceptance,
dignity and respect. Educators understand the importance of confidentiality, and protect student
privacy, unless disclosure is required by law. Educators do not abuse or exploit students or minors
for personal, sexual, ideological, material or other advantage.”

Standard 1 holds a profound significance in my teaching journey—it encapsulates the very essence of why I became an educator. It’s not merely a standard; it’s the heartbeat of my teaching philosophy.

To me, teaching goes beyond textbooks and classrooms; it’s a calling to make a meaningful impact on the lives of my students. Their growth and development are my top priorities. I wake up each day with the conviction that I can empower them to become not just better learners, but better individuals.

Every student who walks into my classroom is unique, and I celebrate that individuality. I understand that they come with their own strengths, challenges, and dreams. My role is to craft a learning experience that caters to their specific needs, ensuring they feel valued and respected.

Learning, I believe, is a lifelong journey. I instill this belief in my students, encouraging them to embrace challenges and learn from setbacks. I also recognize that my own learning as an educator never ceases; I continually seek ways to improve my teaching methods and stay current with best practices.

Ethics and integrity form the foundation of my teaching practice. I treat each student with unwavering respect and kindness, maintaining their trust by safeguarding their confidentiality and ensuring their well-being. I create a safe and inclusive space where every student knows they are in an environment where they are respected and valued.

Assessing my students’ progress and providing them with constructive feedback is a vital part of my role. I use a variety of assessment methods to understand where each student stands on their learning journey. This empowers them to take ownership of their learning and strive for improvement.

One of the most significant aspects of my teaching journey is the relationships I build with my students. These connections are not superficial; they are meaningful bonds that foster trust and enhance their engagement and motivation.

Diversity is celebrated in my classroom. I embrace the unique backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives that my students bring. Inclusivity is not just a concept; it’s a daily practice where everyone feels they belong and are respected.

Collaboration with parents and guardians is another essential element of my commitment to students. I engage in open and transparent communication, keeping families informed about their child’s progress and involving them in decisions that impact their education.

In essence, Standard 1 isn’t a checkbox on a list of requirements; it’s a personal promise I make to every student who enters my classroom. It’s a testament to my unwavering commitment to their growth, well-being, and success.