Jannik Michalzik

"To teach is to learn"

Standard 5

“Educators implement effective planning, instruction, assessment and reporting practices
to create respectful, inclusive environments for student learning and development.”

“Educators have the knowledge and skills to facilitate learning for students, including learning
experiences that reflect individual contexts and local environments. Educators value collaborative
practice. Educators recognize and understand the interconnectedness of all aspects of teaching and
learning and employ a variety of instructional and assessment strategies. Educators communicate
effectively in either English or French. Educators know when to seek support for their practice and
for students.”

For me, this standard signifies the art and science of teaching. It’s about the deliberate, thoughtful, and systematic approach I take to planning, implementing, and assessing instruction to ensure the best possible outcomes for my students.

At the heart of this standard is a commitment to rigorous planning. I believe in setting clear objectives for each lesson, unit, and course, always keeping in mind the diverse needs and abilities of my students. My planning is not a one-size-fits-all approach; it’s a tailored strategy that considers different learning styles, abilities, and backgrounds.

But planning alone is not enough. Execution is equally crucial. In the classroom, I strive to create a dynamic and engaging learning environment. I leverage a variety of instructional methods, strategies, and resources to make learning meaningful and enjoyable. I adapt my teaching to the ever-evolving needs of my students, seeking creative ways to capture their attention and stimulate their curiosity.

Assessment is an integral part of my professional practice. I employ diverse assessment tools to gauge student progress and provide timely, constructive feedback. Assessment isn’t just about assigning grades; it’s about helping students understand their strengths, areas for improvement, and the path forward in their learning journey.

This standard also reminds me of the importance of reflection and adaptation. I continuously evaluate the effectiveness of my instructional methods and make adjustments based on the outcomes. I’m open to feedback from students, colleagues, and mentors, recognising that growth and improvement are ongoing processes.