Jannik Michalzik

"To teach is to learn"

Standard 4

“Educators value the involvement and support of parents, guardians, families and
communities in schools.”

“Educators understand, respect and encourage the participation of families and communities in
student learning and development. Educators consider the perspectives of parents/guardians
regarding their children. Educators communicate effectively and in a timely manner with parents/
guardians.”

To me, this standard signifies that education is a collective effort involving not only the students and the teacher but also the families. Parents and guardians are key stakeholders in their children’s education, and I see them as essential allies in the learning journey.

Effective communication is at the heart of this commitment. I strive to establish open and transparent channels of communication with parents and guardians. Regular updates on their child’s progress, achievements, and challenges are essential. I want them to feel informed and involved in their child’s educational experience.

Moreover, I recognise and respect the diverse roles that families play in their child’s life. Every family is unique, with its own cultural, linguistic, and socioeconomic background. This diversity enriches our classroom community, and I actively seek to understand and appreciate these differences.

This also emphasises that parents and guardians are partners in decision-making. I believe in involving them in discussions about curriculum, goals, and strategies for their child’s education. Their insights and perspectives are invaluable, and I consider them an integral part of the educational team.

Furthermore, I aim to create a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere in which parents and guardians feel comfortable and valued. I encourage their active participation in school activities, meetings, and events. Their presence and engagement in our school community contribute to a positive and supportive learning environment.